A couple of miles from O Rosal the road begins to climb gently into the mountains. Built to harness the Picon and Folon rivers, the first mill dates from 1702, with 60 eventually completed. They remain well preserved and linked by a hiking trail. Despite their entirely functional purpose, they manage to have a wonderful symmetrical pattern in two areas.
The trail sneaked up the Campo do Couto mountain and the mills started to come into the view. They are in surprisingly good condition, with small irrigation channels running between them. The water usually runs directly through the mills, which would have powered the milling process.
Not much can be seen inside the mills anymore, and many of the doors are locked. One that was opened revealed a bare room with the large mill stone in the center. Wheat and corn flour would have been the primary output in these mills.
On the initial section of the trail the mills had been scattered irregularly, but after reaching the summit and descending again, a group of mills came into view with an incredibly uniformed pattern as they snake down the hillside. Galicia receives plenty of rainfall and sunshine, meaning the the landscape is a luminous green.
A second grouping lay just below with a steep trail leading down the mountainside. In the past the mills would have been owned by completely different groups or individuals. Ranging from families, to entire villages who would share responsibilities.